Quick Lettering Guide Tutorial And NEW Classes!!

3:02 PM

First Up: Quick Lettering Guide Tutorial

There are times when I'm out in the field and I don't want to take the time to carefully draw out lines to get a title of type just right. With this in mind, I came up with a quick way to do lettering without having to invest a lot of time.

Once your art is complete and you're ready to add your title, grab a piece of paper. In my example, I'm using tracing paper as I usually have a piece tucked into the back of my journal. Plain white paper works just as well. (The art is from the Keeton's class demo I did this past Saturday.)


The art is fine the way it is, but I really wanted to add the word, Seaside, at the top of the art.  I probably should have used "gulfside" as this is the Gulf of Mexico. You can click on the photos to see the steps more clearly.

Size the tracing paper to the width of the area where you want the type to appear. In my case, I wanted my type to stretch all the way across the top of the art. Please click on the photos to see the steps more clearly.

Once you have the size, fold the paper in half, then into quarters and then down to eighths. This step really depends on how many letters you'll be using. Fold down as much as you want, but the more folds you have the smaller the lettering will be. It may be necessary to space the words rather than the letters. Please click on the photos to see the steps more clearly.

Once I have my folds, I usually mark the folds as it makes them easier to see. I also mark my center fold with a "c." Based on how many letters and the lettering style I want, I then write out my word(s).

If you already know what lettering style you want, you can use the edge of the paper as your straight line. If you're going to play around with a few different styles, draw out several straight lines to practice different styles.

Knowing I really wanted the long, stretchy lettering, I flipped my paper and wrote out my letters in between the folds rather than on the folds themselves as I did in the first example.

Position the word so that it is centered in the space where you want the title to appear and then recreate the lettering using the guide as a visual map for placement. Depending on how complicated your title is, it may be necessary to pencil in a few lines. 

And when you're done, hopefully this is something like what you will have when you're done! 

Next Up: NEW Classes Over At ImaginaryTrips.com!!
Okay, I'll admit I jumped the gun a little bit as the poll is still open, but Norway got out in front and never looked back! It's a pretty safe bet we'll be heading there first! To learn more about An Imaginary Visit To Norway, please click HERE! Class will get started on Thursday, March 3rd. Come and join the fun! Did you know they have a knighted penguin?! (I didn't either!)

After Norway, we'll head over to Sweden as Norway and Sweden share a border of over 1,000 miles. The history they share is also quite complex and intertwined. We'll head out for An Imaginary Visit To Sweden on Thursday, April 7th. Wanna come along? Click HERE to learn more! Sweden is home to the largest reindeer herd in the world and I'm pretty sure they've a huge moose population as well.

There's still time to vote on the poll and help decide where we go after we leave Sweden! Click HERE to go to the poll. It's open until February 1st!

I look forward to traveling with you this year!

You Might Also Like

4 Creative Thought(s)

  1. A folded paper guide for lettering? Wow what a creative idea. There is almost always some sort of piece of paper near by (even a Starbucks bag). I'll have to give it a try. I'm so glad you mentioned it because I sure didn't think of it.
    P.S. I'm excited to start thinking about some new travel opportunities! Your classes sound very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a genius idea! I'm so glad the new trips are up. I'm packing my bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Laure - what a super idea. I must definitely give this one a try. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope your day is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very ingenious idea Ms. Laure! I am positive I could find a use for this in my craft as well! Your seaside sketch is adorable too! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe